FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Answers to the most frequently asked questions about jobs, hiring and working at CN.
1. How do I apply for a job at CN? / How do I create an Account on jobs.cn.ca?
In order to apply for jobs at CN or sign up for our Job Alerts, you must Create an Account.
You will be asked to enter an email address, a password and a security question. This information will be used on your applicant profile for tracking in our candidate database.
There are 2 ways to create an account:
1. By clicking on the “Create account” link in the Candidate section on the top right of the page.
2. During the online job application process.
If you have not yet created an account, our system will prompt you to do so before you can submit your application.
Both options will take you to the main account page. Fill out all the required fields to create your account. Once completed, you will be able to upload your resume and any other relevant application information. Once your account has been created, you can apply for the jobs of your choice.
2. How do I search / find available jobs?
3. Where else does CN advertise jobs?
The most up-to-date source for jobs at CN is our own website http://jobs.cn.ca. It is updated several times each day. Subscribe to Job Alerts to receive new jobs by email. (See Question 16.) CN’s jobs are also available on our Facebook jobs page. In addition, jobs are posted to several local, national and niche online job boards and networking sites, sent to our local employment partners, veterans associations, schools and training centers, and are promoted in local newspaper and radio ads.
4. Which job should I apply for – how to decide?
Most jobs have detailed job descriptions with working conditions and employment requirements. Please make sure that you meet these criteria, that the working conditions are acceptable to you, and that the job description meets your interest.
5. Can I submit my resume without it being attached to a specific job?
6. Can I fax or send my resume by mail / email?
7. I don’t have a computer. How can I submit an application?
8. I’m not sure if the railroad lifestyle is right for me. How can I learn more?
9. I work for a competitor. If I join CN, will I retain my seniority?
10. I’m willing and available to relocate for a job. Does CN provide assistance?
11. What if I know someone at CN? Does this improve my chances of being hired?
CN has a policy of selecting qualified candidates who are the best fit for the job. Candidates must meet all basic employment requirements, be fit for the job and be successful during the interview and all phases of testing. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage all qualified candidates to apply.
12. Can I apply to multiple job postings? If I do, will it improve my chances?
You can apply to more than one job. However, we highly recommend that apply only to those jobs that you are most interested in and qualified for, and that are within your region.
13. I am certified / qualified elsewhere. Are my credentials recognized at CN?
Credentials required for jobs at CN are listed in the job description. You may also discuss these details when you speak to a recruiter.
14. If I go to a train conductor school, will it improve my chances of being hired at CN?
While some schools do offer conductor training courses, this is not a requirement for CN. In fact, successful completion of the conductor course at one of these schools does not grant you an exemption from CN’s conductor training. If you do opt to complete this supplementary education, successful completion in the program may give you an edge at the time of hiring, assuming you meet all other employment criteria.
15. What are the benefits / salary / compensation offered?
CN offers competitive compensation and outstanding benefits. In some cases, salary information can be found in the job description. Otherwise, these are details that you can discuss with a recruiter when you are contacted. For more general information on CN’s benefits programs, click here.
16. How do I find out about new jobs? / How do I sign up for Job Alerts?
We invite you to visit jobs.cn.ca for current updates on a regular basis. You can sign up for Job Alerts that will notify you about new jobs that meet your criteria. With Alerts, as new jobs are posted that match your criteria, they will be sent to you automatically by email.
2) After entering your email address, select the criteria for the jobs for which you’d like to receive a Job Alert and click on Submit.
17. How do I share a job with a friend?
Do you know someone who would be a good candidate for a job at CN? You have the option to use social media platforms Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, or Google+ or send an email if you wish to share job postings with friends. Once you go to a specific job and view the description page, you can click on any of the share icons in the top right corner to forward it through social media or email.
18. What is the hiring process?
Each year, CN receives more than 100,000 applications from candidates across the continent. To effectively handle this volume of information, several steps of the candidate assessment and hiring process are managed through our automated candidate system. For this reason, it is necessary for all applicants to set up an Account. (See question 1.)
19. How do I check the status of my application?
20. How do I attend a recruiting event / meet a recruiter in person?
For recruiting events, we invite you to look in the Events section of jobs.cn.ca. These events are perfect opportunities to gather more information and meet a recruiter in person. We strongly recommend that you apply online prior to attending the event.
21. I live too far away and can’t travel to a recruiting event. Will my application still be considered?
Yes! It is not mandatory to attend a recruiting event. If you meet the minimum requirements for a job posting, your application will certainly be considered. We strongly recommend submitting your application online prior to the event.
22. If I travel to a career fair, will CN cover the expenses?
No. CN does not cover expenses for career fairs. Please make sure you choose a recruitment event that is close to your home location.
23. I have specific questions about a job or my application. How do I speak to someone?
If you have applied for a job and are in our candidate system, you may be contacted by CN Human Resources. At that time, you will have the opportunity to ask specific questions. Due to a high volume of applications and jobs, we do not provide contact information for our recruiters or hiring managers.
24. Why haven’t I heard back from the recruiter yet?
Each year, CN receives more than 100,000 applications from candidates across the continent. To effectively handle this volume of information, several steps of the candidate assessment and hiring process are managed through our automated candidate system. For this reason, it is necessary for all applicants to set up an Account. (See question 1.) Our recruiters will contact you via email or phone when they are ready to interview or move you to the next step.
25. How can I obtain the recruiter’s contact information?
Due to a high volume of applications and jobs, we do not provide contact information for our recruiters or hiring managers.
26. How does CN select candidates?
CN has a policy of selecting the most qualified candidates who are the best fit for the job. Candidates must meet all basic employment requirements, be fit for the job and be successful during the interview and all phases of recruitment. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage all qualified candidates to apply.
27. Why didn’t I pass the online assessment / What are my test results / Can I re-take the test?
The online tests have been specifically designed and tailored for each applicable job.
28. The job I applied for has been closed / filled. Why wasn’t I hired?
At times, we are fortunate enough to receive a high volume of qualified candidates for a particular job. It may be that you are not selected at this time but your application will be retained for future opportunities.
29. Can I re-apply for a job if I am unsuccessful?
Candidates are allowed to apply to a specific job posting only once. We encourage you to apply only to jobs for which you are qualified and that are in locations in which you are willing to live. Even after withdrawing from a job, it is not possible to reapply to the same job.
Please note that if you were unsuccessful in your employment application, you will need to wait at least 6 months before re-applying for the same position.
30. I know someone who would be good for a job at CN. How do I tell them about the opportunity?
Please refer this person to our website http://jobs.cn.ca. You should encourage them to search for jobs that are currently available and to sign up for Job Alerts. (See question 16.)
You can also send a specific job posting to your contact. You have the option to use social media platforms Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, or Google+ or send an email if you wish to share job postings with friends. Once you go to a specific job and view the description page, you can click on any of the share icons in the top right corner to forward it through social media or email.
31. I live in a foreign country. How can I get a job at CN?
One of our basic employment requirements is to be legally authorized to work in Canada or the US. This includes status as a Citizen, Permanent Resident, or be in possession of a work permit with certain conditions. If you fit this criterion, you are welcome to apply to CN. At this time, we do not provide immigration assistance for foreign candidates.
32. I’m a student and looking for information on scholarships and/or internships.
CN is proud to recognize and encourage educational excellence. Through our Scholarships and Internships Programs, we offer financial support for post-secondary education of best-in-class students enrolled in programs relevant to CN's core business, such as Transportation, Mechanical, Engineering, Logistics, IT, Human Resources, and more.
To learn more about these programs and/or apply for a CN Scholarship or Internship, visit the section Students and New Grads.
33. How long does it take to hear back from recruiters?
Due to a high volume of applications being submitted, it can take some time for the recruiters to update the status for each candidate. This time can vary between a few days to several weeks. Please be patient and check your application status periodically by logging in to your account.
34. I successfully passed all hiring steps, why have I not been hired?
Due to a high volume of applicants and the number of positions available, it’s possible that we have more qualified candidates than jobs available.
35. How can I apply if I don’t see the job I am interested in?
Any jobs that are on the site are open and you can apply to them. If you do not see any jobs that interest you, we suggest you sign up for Job Alerts. (See Question 16.)
36. When is job “X” going to be on the website?
Our jobs website is updated daily. We do not know in advance which jobs will be posted. Please sign up to Job Alerts to make sure not to miss an opportunity. (See Question 16.)
37. How can I update my account information?
You can update your account information by logging into your account. On the home page, click on the Edit your profile link. To make edits/changes, click on the various tabs (Contact Information, Education, Work History, Attachments). When finished, click Save.
38. I’m having difficulty logging in or using the jobs.cn.ca website. What should I do?
At times, the jobs.cn.ca site functions better with Google chrome or Mozilla Firefox browsers. Before contacting technical support, please try to access the site using a different browser. Also, for Internet Explorer, be sure to allow pop-ups for this site.
39. Who does CN partner with for recruitment?
To communicate our available jobs and to source qualified candidates, CN works in collaboration with several recruitment partners, diversity organizations, schools, colleges and training facilities, and local employment centers. If you would like to become a partner, please contact us at email@example.com.